b-hebrew - Re: DISCONTINUE ROHL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <dalemw AT teleport.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: DISCONTINUE ROHL
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 07:48:36 -0700

Bryan and bhebrew staff:

I, for one, would like to see the interaction over Rohl continue...if Ian
can just control himself!!

I have found it quite informative, since I find Rohl's attempts to figure
out what happened to those 300 years that Kitchen invented to fit the
external chronology he started with, intruiging, at least. It seems to me
that SOMEONE has to try to solve this (and the other "Dark Ages" throughout
the ancient world) rather than just sitting on their hands and always
following the status quo. Moreover, the fact that Rohl's major work is for
a popular audience and that he made money (it is supposed!!) from this is
irrelevant, and any reference to it is irrelevant. Perhaps he is a
scoundrel and perhaps not...in the film series version of his book he
interviewed several Egyptian and Palestinian archaeologists, even
Kitchen...some agreed with him and some didn't.

BTW, in case you'all hadn't noticed, the main point that Velikovsky was
trying to make about the remote history of the earth--namely that it
couldn't be explained by the then current steady evolutionary approach, but
that earth had to have been impacted at sometime by a killer size object
from space--is now the current scientific theory about how we got to where
we are and why there aren't any dinosaurs running around anymore... (-;

I'd love to get involved in this Rohl discussion, but I promised everyone
that they'd get a new MorphBHS and MorphLXX for SBL, so I need to press my
nose back to the grindstone... (-:

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-251-6478 E-Mail: dalemw AT teleport.com