b-hebrew - Re: The MT and Intro to Eng LXX Psalter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The MT and Intro to Eng LXX Psalter
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 16:10:27 -0400

I would have the following questions to ask about Oesterley's work:

1) When was Oesterley writing? If the reference is to his 1939 work
"The Psalms: Translated with Text-Critical and Exegetical Notes"
(SPCK, London), it is then clear that he did not have the advantage of
the Qumran texts and probably limited knowledge of the discoveries at
Ugarit. The Qumran texts may well render his conclusions obsolete.

2) Is Oesterley proposing that the Karaites corrupted the consonantal
Hebrew text, or just the pointing? If the former, then his hypothesis
can be falsified or verified by comparison with the Qumran texts; at
least for other books of the Tanakh, it has largely been falsified. If
the latter, the degree of corruption possible is rather limited.

It is important to remember that the LXX Psalms are a translation, and
a translation of poetry, and so (however well done) are unlikely to be
more than a pale reflection of the original. I would therefore want to
be very cautious before using the LXX to correct the MT text of
Psalms. I have recently worked through the Psalms in Hebrew to check a
translation; I have found only a few places where the Hebrew text is
really "hopelessly corrupt" (some scholars seem to have a failure of
imagination when they meet a difficult phrase!) and only rarely was
the LXX (which is only one of a number of ancient versions done from
the Hebrew) helpful in resolving the difficulty.

I understand that underlying the position taken in your quotation
there may be a doctrinal position of the orthodox churches. If so, the
authors ought to be honest enough to state that they take it on faith
that the LXX is the authoritative form of the text, rather than
relying on the doubtful and dated scholarship of Oesterley.

Peter Kirk