b-hebrew - Re: Vagina

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: irene riegner <iriegner AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Vagina
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:42:27 -0700

There is the word Q:FBFH ("qavah"), found at Numbers 25:8, which literally
means
"stomach," but which i s translated as "womb" by the LXX (MHTRA) and "in locis
genitalibus" by the Vulgate. At least one English version also renders it
"genital
parts." Then, there is the word "nartiq," which is post-biblical, probably
Talmudic,
and literally means "case, box, or sheath" Looks Aramaic, but I'm not sure.
Also, the
rather poetic "beth ha-rechem," or "house of the womb."

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org

irene riegner wrote:

> Is there a word in biblical Hebrew for vagina?
> In talmudic Hebrew?
>
> Thanks
>
> i. riegner
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net

  • Vagina, irene riegner, 09/24/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Vagina, Numberup, 09/24/1999
    • Re: Vagina, gs02wmr, 09/24/1999