b-hebrew - Re: Fw: b-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Fw: b-hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:01:39 -0400

At 04:38 PM 9/20/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I recently purchased a new English translation of the OT, published by
>Living Stream Ministry in Anaheim, CA. I have owned their NT for some
>years, and have not been too favorably impressed with it. I know enough
>Greek to be somewhat critical ( in the healthy sense ), but I know
>nothing at all of Hebrew. On a video they supplied, the following few
>comments about their OT were made, and I wonder what you might have to
>say about them:
>
> 1. They primarily used the Leningrad Codex. Does this seem OK to
>you?

Primarily??? What do they mean by that. And regarding the Leningrad Codex-
it is the basis of BHS and the old BHK. If their text is primarily based on
Leningrad- what else is it based on?

> 2. They used the Dead Sea Scrolls for Isaiah 14:4. Same question as
>above.

Well if you get any critical text, like BHS, they will include a textual
note regarding different readings in the same way that Nestle-Aland does in
the NT. I suppose what they are saying is that they make use of the Qumran
materials. Thats fine. But the Qumran readings are not always superior.

> 3. They translate Ps. 104:16 as: "The trees of Jehovah are full of
>sap, the cedars of Lebanon, which He planted..." Does this seem like an
>acceptable translation?

If they use "Jehovah" they are perpetuating a misunderstand of the Hebrew
text which was begun in the middle ages. God's name is Yahweh. Otherwise
the rendering is ok.

> 4. They translate YHWH as Jehovah throughout (" Jehovah is my
>shepherd...", for example, for Ps.23 ). Acceptable?

Not so far as I am concerned. Have you taken a look at the Revised English
Bible? Now IT is BRILLIANT!

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

  • Fw: b-hebrew, Bryan Rocine, 09/20/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Fw: b-hebrew, Jim West, 09/20/1999
    • Re: b-hebrew, Bryan Rocine, 09/20/1999