b-hebrew - Re: Stress in written Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Henry Churchyard <churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stress in written Hebrew?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:45:18 -0500 (CDT)

> Subject: Re: Stress in written Hebrew (DSS)?
> From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:26:33 +0200

>> Well, the masoretic accentual system, when properly interpreted,
>> reveals a normal pattern of phrase-final prosodic prominence in the
>> masoretic recitation pronunciation, at a number of hierarchical
>> levels (see chapter 3 of my dissertation, or Wickes 1887 for that
>> matter) -- but this may or may not be particularly relevant for
>> Qumran.

> Still, it's interesting. How does such a phrase final prominence
> work with the natural stresses in the individual words?

They don't strongly "interact" as such; one set of rules governs
positioning of main stress within each word, and another set of rules
governs the assignment of phrasal-level prosodic prominence among the
words in a phonological phrase (but only acts at the level of whole
words, and does not determine the location of stress _within_ a word).
However, there is one interaction, namely that stress-shifts are
prohibited in words assigned phrasal prosodic prominence (as discussed
extensively in my dissertation). Here's a phonological "grid"
representation of a phrase in Jeremiah 5:5 which should be somewhat
intuitive (the higher the column of "x"'s the stronger the prosodic
prominence); linguistically, these levels are basically built up in
simple "layer-cake" fashion (higher levels assigned to representations
which already contain all lower levels), except for secondary stress.

Phrasal Prominence x
Main Word-Stress x x
Secondary Stress x x x
Unreduced Syllable x x x x x
Syllable x x x x x x x
[ wa.'a.dab.b@.raa 'oo.taam ]

--
Henry Churchyard churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/

  • Re: Stress in written Hebrew?, Henry Churchyard, 09/19/1999