b-hebrew - Re: Prefix or Imperfect, Qal or D

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Prefix or Imperfect, Qal or D
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:16:59 +0800

Brian,

Assuming that you are referring to beginning students in the
Christian/semi-Christian environment in the States, you at least need to
make correlation between the term you use and the (perfect, imperfect,
Qal, Piel) set. This is because the lexicons that are generally used
use these terms, and the student will need to know where certain forms
are found.

In my personal teaching, I use the yiqtol/qatal terminology because that
avoids some of the preconceptions and baggage carried by the traditional
imperfect/perfect. I continue to use qal, piel, etc., because the names
provide mnenomics for some of the features, mnenomics which are missing
in D, D2

HTH,

Paul