b-hebrew - Re: Jer 15:6-9 - Rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <cctr114 AT its.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Jer 15:6-9 - Rolf
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:59:16 +1200 (NZST)

Rolf wrote:-

>Dear list-members,
>
>In the mentioned verses I count 12 QATALs, 1 WEQATAL and 3 WAYYIQTOLs. I
>cannot find any clue in the context suggesting that the events mantioned by
>the prophet is past; i.e. that reference time comes before speech time.
>However, I find many clues that they are future; i. e. reference time comes
>after speech time. How would the particular model for Hebrew verbs that you
>believe in, direct you in the translation of these verses? In other words,
>how would you translate the verses?

I translated this passage a few years ago. Here is that effort,
I haven't been back to check this:-

6 It is you who have abandoned me
- declares YHWH
You walk backwards
I will stretch out my hand against you
And I will destroy you
I am weary with relenting
7 I will scatter them with a winnowing fork
In the gates of the land
I will cause bereavement, I will destroy my people
They have not turned from their way
8 Their widows will be more numerous to me
Than the sands of the seas
I shall bring against them
Upon mother and young man
A destroyer at noon
I will bring upon them, suddenly
Fear and terror
9 She who has given birth to seven languishes
Her inner being sighs
Her sun sets while it is still day
She is shamed and humiliated
Their remnant I will give to the sword
Before their enemies - declares YHWH

Bill Rea, Information Technology Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail b dot rea at its dot canterbury dot ac dot nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /)
Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'

  • Re: Jer 15:6-9 - Rolf, Bill Rea, 09/14/1999