b-hebrew - Re: Words for man

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: Susan Jeffers <SusanJeffers AT compuserve.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Words for man
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:05:47 -0400

There is also the word _enosh_ as a third synonym for "man"

robert Baker girdlestone cover these words in the book _Synonyms of the Old
Testament. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1951 pages 45-54.

At 02:36 PM 9/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>I'm helping a friend who's studying Genesis 1-3 and we've spent some time
>pondering the differences between "adam" and "iysh" in those chapters.
>Along the way I came across a couple of places in the Psalms where the two
>terms occur together, presumably in contrast to one another, and the
>English is usually rendered "Both low and high" (English Ps 49:2, Hebrew Ps
>49:3) or "men of low degree... men of high degree" (English Ps 62:9, Hebrew
>Ps 62:10).
>
>Is there something in the meaning of "adam" and "iysh" that makes the sons
>of adam of lower social standing than the sons of iysh? What might that
>be? Are there implications for the interpretation of the story of creation
>in Genesis?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Susan Jeffers
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: cierpke AT prodigy.net
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net (preferred)
kwoodruf AT utkux.utcc.utk.edu (alternate)