b-hebrew - Re: Mastering Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Susan Jeffers <SusanJeffers AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mastering Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:26:54 -0400

Message text written by "Biblical Hebrew"

> Bonnie Kittel's book also has an accompanying audiocassette, reading the
exercises and then
> chanting three or four [I forget which] _perashot_ on the flip side. Her
text has some non-
> standard [or are they? just because my first two years of Hebrew didn't
have 'em <VBG>] ways of
> designating various morphological changes, but you get the upshot anyway.
<
I guess this would be Kittel, Hoffer, and Wright, "Biblical Hebrew"?

Yes, it uses a few non-standard terms, most importantly "prefix" and
"affix" instead of "imperfect" and "perfect" respectively -- but I would
think it an excellent book for studying on one's own, and there's a second
volume that continues in the same style using readings from the Hebrew
Bible. One thing I really liked about it was that it uses actual text from
the Bible, from the very first lesson. The non-standard terms were no big
deal -- I just made a note in the margin to remind myself which was which
for purposes of understanding discussions in other books.

I didn't know it had audiocassette(s) to go with it -- we used it in a
seminary/college Hebrew class, and had no cassettes, but did use the CD-ROM
"Hebrew Tutor" program for practice with pronunciation.

Susan Jeffers

  • Re: Mastering Biblical Hebrew, Susan Jeffers, 09/12/1999