b-hebrew - Re: "functional/communicative approach" (was re: vav conversive)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "functional/communicative approach" (was re: vav conversive)
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:24:04 -0400

B-Haverim,

In my last post I was concentrating on the wayyiqtol as per
the original query in the thread, and I think I created a
misunderstanding about my whole system view. I suggested
"3.5" forms by treating the qatal/weqatal and yiqtol
distinctions sloppily as merely "genre sensitive." Let me
clarify by stating that I hold to "5.5" forms. new summary:

fientive: 1. wayyiqtol (perfective, mainline)
2. yiqtol, long (non-past and generic)
3. yiqtol, short (modal)

attributive: 4. qatal (tells what was/is)
5. weqatal (modal, considering future as a
species of
modality, and mainline)

imperfective 5.5. qotel

Do you think it's justified to distinguish between the
yiqtols?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine