b-hebrew - Re: pausal environ, II, paul z.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: pausal environ, II, paul z.
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:50:11 +0800

Vincent DeCaen wrote (in part):

> re exegesis: i think the phrasing, etc, is actually important in this
> respect. Price's books, etc, have made that point most emphatically.
> when i need an example, can't think of better than the difference
between

> a voice crying out, "in the wilderness ..." (rabbinical phrasing)
> vs
> a voice crying out in the wilderness, "..." (you know who)

Vince,

I agree with you completely. But I interpreted you question of my
familiarity with the subject as wondering if I had academically studied
it out. I have not done the analysis that you and Henry apparently have
done or are doing. To use an analogy, I see you two like scientists and
me as similar to an engineer. I don't do the science, I apply it. Of
course, since I am more than a technician, I have to have some degree of
higher understanding of the science. So I look forward to seeing what
your scientific examinations come up with so I can use it in
understanding the texts.

Thanks for being one of those who keep those like me from having to do
the whole analysis. I enjoy piggybacking on your work.

Paul

  • pausal environ, II, paul z., Vincent DeCaen, 08/25/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: pausal environ, II, paul z., Paul Zellmer, 08/27/1999