b-hebrew - Re: Biblical Hebrew Kittel, Hoffer & Wright

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chalomi Balaylah" <chalomi AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Biblical Hebrew Kittel, Hoffer &amp; Wright
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:49:52 PDT

Hi,

I just joined this list via an internet link. I see that this is a University based e-mail list. I hope there's no problem that I'm just a non-college person living in Los Angeles who loves Hebrew and is attempting to read the Hebrew Bible.

Just a little background about myself. I discovered the Hebrew alphabet in an American dictionary, back in 1977 and fell in love with it and began teaching myself Hebrew. I did this for a couple of years before my interest wandered to other things. I really enjoyed learning it and was very good at it. At the time it came very easy for me, although I never became fluent.

Anyway, a few months ago, I was inspired to get back into learning Hebrew and I do have several different books including the 'Biblical Hebrew, a Text and Workbook' that you mentioned. I'm in a situation where I already know a lot of what's in there, but I bought it to refresh myself specifically on Biblical Hebrew since I'm planning on reading the Hebrew Bible from the beginning starting next month. The book is definitely set up in a different way than what I'm used to. I've read through chapter 9 and so far they haven't given any full sentences, only phrases, and they focus a lot on the dageshes, and their purposes and not enough on the words themselves and sentence structure. To be honest with you if I didn't already know a lot about the language, I would find it to be a bit confusing :) The first books I ever found on biblical Hebrew back in 1977 seemed to do a simpler job of explaining the basic structure of the language. But those were library books, so I don't have them or even remember who they were written by or their titles.

I'm interested in hearing about why the rest of you are on this list. Are you teachers, students, or just people who love the language as I do?

Shalom,

Chalomi