b-hebrew - Dan 7:14 , 27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Dan 7:14 , 27
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 05:35:39 PDT

Dear Friends,

I had a question re: the Aramaic word in Daniel 7:14, 27 (the "son of man" passages) that is translated "serve", and also "worship". Unfortunately I do not have a Hebrew/Aramaic Lexicon with me at the moment, but I believe the word in question is PELACH.This word is associated with rendering divine service. My question is as follows: Do any of you know whether PELACH is used in any context other than rendering divine service to deities or to the Deity? In other words, is this word used in other Aramaic sources such as the Targums for rendering service to kings, or dignitaries or is it exclusively used in a religious context? Thanks.

Tony Costa, B.A.
Univ. of Toronto
Toronto, Canada