b-hebrew - Re: wayyiqtol, david's question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: wayyiqtol, david's question
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:35:24 -0700

Vince wrote:
> good question, david.

Why thank you :-)

> i would hazard the following guess about native speakers: they would
> consider forms consecutive to the extent that AND is part of the
> semantics of the form. so the mandarin analysis, definitely not; but
> the swahili with the morpheme -ka- meaning roughly AND THEN,
> definitely. Probably intermediate cases, though no example comes to
> mind.

I'd like to follow up on the Swahili for a moment if I may; I gather
this morpheme carries more meaning than just "and," so I might
speculate that its meaning is closer to Hebrew ):AXFR"Y K"N than
to a simple Hebrew W- prefix? How close might I be?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

  • wayyiqtol, david's question, Vincent DeCaen, 08/09/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: wayyiqtol, david's question, Dave Washburn, 08/12/1999