b-hebrew - Re: maz-zot `asita

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: maz-zot `asita
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:26:31 -0400

Hi Vince,
you wrote:

> for those who celebrated, i hope you had a happy simcoe
day. i spent
> the day at Niagara Falls: good day for it.

My rule is *always* stop at the mighty Falls when crossing
the US/Canadian border...at least use the Rainbow Bridge.
The sight of the Falls never gets old for me. :-)

> some thoughts on the syntax and semantics of the hebrew
verb. from jonah,

> (1) maz-zot `asita
> (2) what in the world did you do?
> (3) what in the world have you done?
>
> questions.
> (a) can we agree that (2) and (3) are really the only
translations of `asita?
> if so, some further questions.

can't agree here. mah zo't is the main clause, and is a
reference to Jonah's present (at speaker's time) fleeing.
That makes `asita a dependent clause, "...that you have
done" or using my idiosyncratic translation method, "...that
you are a doer."

> (b) if standard hebrew syntax is verb-initial, why should
such
> interrogatives always be non-verb-initial?

Isn't switching the standard order of subject and verb a
common transformation for generating questions? I.e.
standard for BH simple declarative clause is V-S, and S-V
can be used for questions.

further, why should qatal
> forms in main clauses also be non-verb-initial? wouldn't
it be easier
> to say that word order for qatal is consistently verb
second in main
> clauses? it seems odd to me to say that hebrew is
basically
> verb-initial, but that 100% of the time it's X-qatal.
something not
> quite right about received wisdom at this point.

good point. I think, by saying that Bh is basically
verb-initial, texts may cause their students to dismiss the
issue of verb placement too easily, unthinkingly. I tnink
the ancients had *two basic locations* for the verb,
clause-initial and non-clause-initial. Manipulation of the
location of the verb plays heavily both pragmatically and
semantically.

BTW, in prose there is one discourse slot in which the
clause-initial qatal is very common: the first clause of a
direct speech (or oral or "within quotation marks")
narrative (many of which are only one clause long; they
would be hard to call "narratives" technically). Would you
comment on this phenomenon?

> (c) notice that a direct question in speech forces the
temporal
> reference to the moment of speech. if so, why is `asita
and qatals in
> similar interrogatives consistently PAST relative to the
moment of
> speech? to say there is no inherent TEMPORAL DEIXIS in
qatal forms,
> but then to turn around and say that where reference is
fixed, we get
> 100% of the time a past tense (english simple or composite
past
> tenses), seems to miss a generalization. and yet, why
can't `asita
> have a full spectrum of tense readings, if tense is not
part of its
> semantics? to invoke pragmatics here seems to be an abuse
of such
> analytical tools.

If qatal means the state the subject is in at the time being
talked about, that's going to read like a past most of the
time because the subject entered the state at some point in
the past. Nevertheless, the form, IMO, refers to the
subject's *being in the state* rather than his entrance into
it. In a dependent clause, qatal necessarily refers to what
is past relative to the time of the main clause.

> (d) the straightforward analysis of qatals in main clauses
where the
> temporal reference can be assured is that qatal encodes
PAST TENSE,
> and that it occurs second in the sentence after some full
constituent.

How about Gen 4:6 lammah noplu paneyka or Exo 10:3 `ad matay
me'anta le`anot mipanay ? --one a pretty clear reference of
qatal to the speaker's present and one to the speaker's
future.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine