b-hebrew - very-little-Hebrew questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jharper AT ix.netcom.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: very-little-Hebrew questions
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:49:51 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy. I'm an infinitesimal Hebrew [only one year under my belt, although I
did that one year
three times over 15 years <bg>] and I'll be starting intermediate next year.
The instructor tells
me that what we'll be doing is reading, 15 verses per session [30/week], in
the books of Samuel
and Kings. So far so good.

Now, I've been running around like a decapitated chicken this summer trying
NOT to forget all the
rules I learned, how to conjugate I-nun verbs in Hiphil, what happens to
hollow verbs in pi'el,
the whole megillah of multiple prepositions and how they change in meaning ..
you get the picture.
So, to the many experienced teachers on this list I have to ask: how much of
that stuff do you
REALLY expect someone to remember at the beginning of the second year? And
how big is it
realistic to expect someone's vocabulary to be at the end of the first year,
in terms of sight
reading without a lexicon?

Second question: how do people EVER learn to read Hebrew without the
pointing? In so many cases
it seems that the difference between one binyan and another is entirely in
the vowels ... how can
context help in that instance?

Just a curious little newbie here. Thanks in advance for answering.

Janie

Jane Harper, Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley
jharper AT ix.netcom.com ICQ#33841091
Si hic legere scis, nimium eruditionem habes.