b-hebrew - Re: The form of weqatal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The form of weqatal
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:04:39 -0700

Paul,
> Rolf Furuli wrote on Wednesday, July 21, 1999 11:54 PM
>
> > Dear Paul,
>
> > >Uh, excuse me, Rolf, but in the case of NIMCF), I believe the Qal
> yiqtol
> > >1cp is homographic to the niphal qatal 3ms. Since the weqatals that
> > >*are* found in this verse are 1cp, it is a definite possibility that
> we
> > >have a yiqtol in a dependent clause, which would be non-past relative
> > >the reference time.
> >
> > Your information is formally correct, but in my view it is impossible
> > apply to 2 Samuel 17:12. The antecedent of NIMCF is "him", something
> which
> > is seen from )ELAW, which occurs both before and after NIMCF.
> >

> Rolf, I would agree the antecedent for )$ER is the 3ms pronominal suffix
> of the preposition,

Actually, the antecedent of )A$ER appears to be HAM.:QOWMOT
immediately preceding it.

but what demands that )$ER be the subject of the
> dependent clause? Could it not as easily be the *object* with the
> <NUN>-prefix being the subject? "Whom we will find" seems to work as
> easily as "he who is [or will be] found," and the verb form does not run
> contrary to expectation.

It's "in one of the places where we find him"; )$R is a relative
clause modifying the object of the preposition B in B)XT HMQWMT.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur