b-hebrew - W:HFYFH in 1 Sam 10.9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew, list" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: W:HFYFH in 1 Sam 10.9
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:17:50 +0800

In Rolf's last response to Dave concerning the form of the weqatal, he
spoke of the WEHAYF in 1 Sam 10:7 and 10:9. I assume he was referring
to the first words in each verse, which our "suggested" transliteration
scheme would spell as W:HFYFH, the weqatal form of HYH. My question
concerns the one found in verse ten.

Why is it W:HFYFH here instead of WAY(Y)IHIY? I see the variant noted
in the BHS, but isn't this form unusual enough to expect a qathib/qere?
Or is it so obvious that the corrected reading need not be noted?

Paul
----
On July 20:
1881 Sioux Indian Chief Sitting Bull surrenders to federal troops
1960 USSR recovered 2 dogs; 1st living organisms to return from space
1969 1st men on Moon, Neil Armstrong & Edwin Aldrin, Apollo 11
1976 US Viking 1 lands on Mars at Chryse Planitia, 1st Martian
landing

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines

zellmer AT digitelone.com

  • W:HFYFH in 1 Sam 10.9, Paul Zellmer, 07/20/1999