b-hebrew - Re: Translation: Ps 118:26a (MT)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT mail.javanet.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Translation: Ps 118:26a (MT)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 06:52:30 -0400

Jim West wrote:
> I wonder if the masoretic accenting here really does support such a
> rendering. The masoretes were after all far more interested in the sound
of
> a text sung then they were with the absolute meaning of the text.
Further,
> the accent you point out is merely a minor break, and not a major- since
the
> verse continues and the portion we have been discussing is only the first
half.

I'd have to disagree here - it seems to me that one cannot make such an
absolute distinction between "the sound of the text sung" and its meaning.
The massoretes were, I think, well aware of ambiguities in meaning that
might be affected by accents and pauses, and their accents and pauses were
deliberately placed.

It seems to me that the translation

"Blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord"

is in one way a pretty good translation of the Hebrew. Thats is, the
elements of the sentence are rendered in
the same order as the Hebrew. However, the meaning may not be the same. In
English, one can say either "blessed in the name of the Lord is he that
comes" or "blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord", so that the
second sentence is read as implying that the one who comes comes in the name
of the Lord.

However, Hebrew does not allow the possiblity to switching the places of the
elements of the sentence in that way. The meaning of the sentence depends
on where the stop is. If after barukh, then we have "blessed is, the one
who comes in the name of the Lord"; if after "ha'ba, we have "blessed is
the one who comes, in the name of the Lord", which is the closest Hebrew can
come to expressing "blessed in the name of the Lord is the one who comes."
I would suggest also that the following phrase - "bayrakhnukhem mi'beis
yhvh" argues in favor of the reading that has the one who comes blessed in
the name of the Lord, rather than coming in the Lord's name.