b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: July 15, 1999

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: July 15, 1999
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:20:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Bill Rea wrote:
> Got to ask a question here. I was my understanding that the Jewish
> people had pretty much finalised their canon by the end of the 1st
> century A.D. If you are going to propose that Ezra wasn't even written
> until one or two centuries after that, how did that book find its
> way into the canon?

Shalom!

Speaking of Canon - When I was a member of a local BBS here, on one of the
religious message boards - a gentleman posted a message stating that the
book of Dabariym(Deuteronomy) was a 'patent fake' and that 'reputable
scholars' had found evidence, archaeological or otherwise, that it was
copied from Sumerian and Babylonian(or Akkadian?) tablets of which
remnants existed in a cave near Qumran. I know there are many
similarities between the Pentateuch and those fantasy "epics"....but the
guy that wrote this message claimed it was entirely ripped from those
tablets and there was no such thing as Aaron collecting the words of Moshe
and authoring Deuteronomy.

Any truth to this?

Peace.....