b-hebrew - Josephus & 1Esdras (Only vaguely related)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Josephus & 1Esdras (Only vaguely related)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:50:40 +0200

Perhaps someone on this list might be able to help me with a developing
idea. I think I can fairly conclusively show that Josephus's source for his
information about Ezra and a lot of material on Zerubbabel comes from 1
Esdras, given his preference for the 1Esdras order of materials over that
of Ezra, names of the form found in 1Esdras over those in Ezra and the
three pages material only found in 1Esdras. (I also work on the notion that
the Ezra material along with a part on Nehemiah regarding Ezra were mined
from the Hebrew predecessor of 1Esdras around the time of Josephus, when
the figure of Ezra became popular.)

What interests me is this: if I understand correctly Josephus was a speaker
of Hebrew who had difficulty in Greek and while the original version of 1
Esdras is understood to have been in Hebrew, it would seem to me that
Josephus has used the Greek version of 1 Esdras. A Persian known as
Tattenai in Ezra who is governor of Shetharbozenai (5:3) is Sisinnes
governor of Sathrabuzanes in both 1Esdras (6:7) and Josephus (11.1.3). If I
assume for the moment that Josephus had a copy of 1Esdras in Hebrew, would
it be possible that the names be transliterated in the same manner
independently from thaose in the Greek version of 1Esdras? I am inclined to
think not, but it would be good to hear from anyone with an opinion on the
subject to clarify the situation. (Perhaps he used the Hebrew original and
then took the names from the Greek 1Esdras?)

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ian

  • Josephus & 1Esdras (Only vaguely related), Ian Hutchesson, 07/11/1999