b-hebrew - Fw:

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ruthy & Baruch" <alster AT comandcom.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Fw:
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:07:54 +0300

----------

A question for all readers:

It is well known that different names (or descriptions) can be used for
the
same person in a Biblical narrative, e.g. Yishma'el being called in
Genesis
21 "the son of Hagar the Egyptian" (v. 9), "the son of this servant" (v.
10), "His [=Abraham's] son" (v. 11), "the lad" (v. 12), and "the child"
(v.
14). The different descriptions are used according to the point of view
cited in each particular verse.

Does anyone know of similar cases, using different names or descriptions
of
*places*, rather than people? I'm looking into this angle for explaining
different uses of place names in the battle of Mikhmas story in I Sam.
13-14, and it would help me to find other possibilities of this phenomenon
being used in Biblical narrative.

Thanks and L'hitraot
Baruch Alster
Kochav Ya'akov, Israel