b-hebrew - Re: eloi or alah.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: yahua'sef <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: eloi or alah.
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:34:54 -0400

yahua'sef wrote:

> I don't think this is all that accurate. Sunni Muslims actually *do*
> insist that "Allah"(alif, laam, laam, he) is in fact the conjugation of
> the definite article 'AL'(alif Lam) and "ilah"(alif lam he), and
> that "ilah" is the cognate word for "Eloh" in Hebrew. After the
> contraction, it no longer means "the god," but simply "God."

While it may be more accurate to say that not all Muslim scholars agree upon
the derivation
of "Allah," the following comments of Maulana Muhammad Ali are typical. The
first is from
his book, "The Religion of Islam," (first published in 1936), page 118:

"Allah is the proper or personal name of the Divine Being...The word Alllah
being a proper
name is "jamid," that is to say, it is not derived from any other word. Nor
has it any
connection with the word "ilah" (god or object of worship). It is sometimes
said that Allah
is a contracted form of al-ilah, but that is a mistake....The Arabs had
numerous other ilahs
or gods but none of them was ever called Allah, while a Supreme Being called
Allah was
recognized above them as the Creator of the universe."

From the Maulana's authoritative and well-recognized English translation of
the Qur'an,
(First edition, 1917) note 2 to Surah 1 (Al-Fatihah):

"Allah, according to the more correct of the opinions respecting it, is a
proper name
applied to the Being Who exists necessarily by Himself, comprising all the
attributes of
perfection, the "al-" being inseperable from it, not derived. Al-ilah is a
different word,
and Allah is not a contraction of al-ilah."

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org