b-hebrew - Re: Augustine source?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Rodney K Duke <dukerk AT appstate.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Augustine source?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:37:23 -0400

At 05:24 PM 6/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>The following request does not come under Hebrew, but (1) I thought one
>of you might know the answer (if not, I'll try to find an Augustine
>list), and (2) I thought that some of you might find it interesting
>since it does apply to interpreting scripture.
>
>Mortimer Adler, in _Truth in Religion_, states that Augustine held the
>following position on interpreting Scripture, but Adler does not give a
>reference:
>"His first precept was: Hold to the truth of Scripture without
>wavering....His second precept followed: Since Sacred Scriptures can be
>interpreted in a multiplicity of senses, one should adhere to a
>particular version only in such measure as to be ready to abandon it if
>it should prove to be false...." (p. 29)

See Augustine's "Soliloquies". You can read these online at:
http://ccel.wheaton.edu/fathers2/NPNF1-07/npnf1-07-142.htm#P4744_2541915

failing that- you can do a search at:

http://ccel.wheaton.edu/Architext/AT-CCELquery.html

type in something like - augustine bible
or some such and you should find what you seek.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

  • Augustine source?, Rodney K. Duke, 06/17/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Augustine source?, Jim West, 06/17/1999