b-hebrew - Re: Biblical Hebrew Syntax Help

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Biblical Hebrew Syntax Help
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:28:13 -0700

Jim West wrote:
> Sure. First, the best thing to do to familiarize yourself with syntax is
> read the Hebrew Bible- or get yourself a NT in Hebrew- that is really a
> tremendous boon for comprehension of Hebrew. Then, and only after you have
> done a few months of reading in the Hebrew text, get Weingreen's grammar and
> work through it. He discusses syntax in a very comprehensive manner.
> Finally, when you finish Weingreen (all the while reading Hebrew every day)
> get Gesenius' grammar and work through it.

Mmmmm, I'd be inclined to suggest Waltke & O'Connor over
Gesenius. It's more up-to-date and much easier to read. There are
some things they don't cover that you can only find in Gesenius,
but I would tackle these things after working through W&O.

And definitely read every day, even if it's just a couple of verses at
first. You'll be amazed at the results.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur