b-hebrew - Gen 21.26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "Hebraisticum" <hebraisticum AT mail.uni-mainz.de>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Gen 21.26
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 15:20:00 -0700

Gday all,

Thanks for all the help on enclitic mems, ipps, verbless clauses, and
leprosy. It will all be used.

This time I have a simpler question about the use of bilti in Gen 21.26. It
seems best to fit into the description of "exceptive clause" in W&O 38.6. In
interlinear format:

wegam 'anoki lo' shama`ti bilti hayyom
and.also myself not I.heard.[it] except today

Is the meaning do you think, "Nor have I heard of it until today". If bilti
is best rendered as "until" here, then we will probably gloss it as "until"
and attach a note, but I justed wanted other opinions before doing this. Is
it possible that the sentence means something else? Is BDB correct in
implying that bilti forms an exceptive clause when preceded by lo'?

Thanks very much,
Matthew Anstey
on behalf of Summer Institute of Linguistics.
BART (Biblical Analysis and Research Tool) Software Development
Carl Follingstad, Coordinator cfollingstad AT compuserve.com
Todd Hoatson, Programmer Todd_Hoatson AT sil.org

  • Gen 21.26, Matthew Anstey, 06/05/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Gen 21.26, Paul Zellmer, 06/07/1999