b-hebrew - Re: die Flucht ins Prasens (minimal semantic value)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rodney K. Duke" <dukerk AT appstate.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: die Flucht ins Prasens (minimal semantic value)
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:30:46 -0400

Dear Colleagues,

Picking up on the recent contributions of Rocine (see below), Furuli, and
Kirk, please permit me one more
time to pose the issue as a question or challenge to be explored by the list
members.

[Comment: I do not have a theory that I claim I can ‘prove’ while your job is
to shoot holes in it or
while you respond with defenses of your favorite theory. That is one method
of scholarship, but not the
only one. As has been mentioned by Kirk and others: we have a verbal system
that we are all trying to
comprehend. I am searching for the explanation that works the best. The
thesis below might be
‘dead-end,’ but I have not yet seen/heard of many list members who have tried
to work with it. I am
seeking to find out what the results are when you, the scholarly community,
try out a new thesis to see
if it works better or worse than older theses (i.e. another model of
scholarship).]

I am simply proposing to the list members: (1) What if we put aside whatever
theory we were taught or
have come to accept about the Hebrew verbal system; and (2) what if we first
just ask, “Is there an
*irreducible semantic minimum* to the prefixed conjugation that differs from
that of the suffixed
conjugation? (Furuli’s question); and (3) that we try out the following model
from our various
perspectives and see if it seems to work or not.

Given a time line: A___B___C___D:

a) A speaker uses yiqtols to express the verbal idea of ACTION. (The speaker
might have in mind that
which took/takes/will take place between points B and C on the time line, but
has a ‘narrow’ or focus on
segment B-C, generally viewing B-C as belonging to a larger EVENT which could
be A-C, B-D, A-D). Because
of this narrow focus on action, the yiqtol also has a kind of modal nuance of
“not-yet-ness”.

b) A speaker uses qatals to express the verbal idea of EVENT. (The speaker
might still have in mind what
took/takes/will take place between points B and C, but be viewing the unit as
a whole with more of an
attributive or stative quality to it.) Because of this more attributive or
nominalizing perspective, the
qatal has a non-modal nuance of actuality.

The above model, I admit, is my attempt to synthesis an inadequate
understanding of what appears to be
possibly overlapping contributions, particularly of Rocine, Furuli, and
Hatav, but also of some ideas of
DeCaen and Niccacci—although all of the above might rightly deny having
anything to do with the above
model.

My question to Professor Buth and those who hold to the cognate-preterit
model is this: Might there still
be such an *irreducible semantic minimum*, even in the cognate languages?
Even though the long prefixed
form is used in past time--putting that usage aside from this question--might
the prefixed conjugations
still have a common semantic value that is different from that of the
suffixed conjugations? Has anyone
gone back to these cognates with this question and/or with this model in mind?

My question to the discourse grammarians is this: Does such a basic, minimum
semantic difference help to
explain the kind of verb sequence patterns you find in different kinds of
discourse? (For instance, in
narrative, one can see how an x-qatal sometime completes an event introduced
by a wayyiqtol, or how an
x-qatal introduces an event that took place before an action reported by a
wayyiqtol.)

[Comment: A few weeks ago I posted an attempt to try to integrate this model
with discourse analysis.
For instance, I speculated on why one might use the semantic value of the
prefixed verb form, as
suggested in ‘a’ above, and use the form wayyiqtol in past-time narration: 1)
the narrator uses a
prefixed form to make more vivid the ACTION of the story being told, and 2)
because the narrator sees a
sequence of actions as comprising a larger event. And, because the
wa+doubling seems generally to move
the reference time forward, the particular form of wayyiqtol becomes the form
of choice for mainline past
narration. (The question of whether or not wayyiqtol intrinsically indicates
tense or has temporal dexis
is a separate question.)]

The main problem I face is with the subjectivity involved. I can creatively
imagine ways in which I
might make the above model work. To get some control over this subjectivity,
I have asked you much more
qualified linguists and grammarians to see if you think it can ‘work’ and if
so, whether or not it works
better than other theses. Perhaps there has been something about my requests
that appear too naive for
people to be interested in exploring the model. If so, please explain to me
why.
Thanks!

Rodney

> Subject: Re: Re[2]: die Flucht ins Prasens, Peter
> From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
> Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:21:17 -0400
>
> <snip - much deleted>
>
> Many experts on verbal semantics assert that the morphology
> of a language's verbs will exhibit a consistent meaning.
> That seems intuitively obvious. In the terms of BH, it
> seems intuitively obvious that prefixed forms will share a
> meaning with prefixed forms and suffixed with
> suffixed...this rather than one prefixed form sharing a
> meaning with one suffixed, while the other prefixed shares a
> meaning with the other suffixed.
>
> I wonder, if we found the MT for the first time this week,
> so that we would have no extant traditions or translations
> for the meanings of the forms, what assumptions we would
> begin with in our studies of the BH verb system and what
> assumptions would survive the rigors of our scrutiny. I
> think the assumption, "same form, same meaning" would be a
> sensible start, and I also think it would survive.

<snip - deleted material>

--
Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608