b-hebrew - Re: The Latin analogy (Alviero)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Latin analogy (Alviero)
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 20:50:11 +0200

Alviero wrote:

>Concerning the issue of verbal system, which was the subject of my message,
>we have a remarkable fact, i.e. that the DSS follow the system of BH and
>not that of Aramaic or Mishnaic Hebrew. In fact, the DSS use the so-called
>inverted verbforms, which are not used in Aramaic or Mishnaic Hebrew. Am I
>correct?

Sorry, if I appeared to shed doubt on your substantive conclusions
regarding DSS Hebrew in my previous post. It was not my intention. I am not
a Hebrew scholar. I accepted your analysis that the verb sytem was
fundamentally that of biblical Hebrew.

I just have problems with extrapollations based on analogies whose
appropriateness is far from clear!

>If this is the case, we have some solid evidence for discussion.
>Some scholars think that Mishanic Hebrew was the spoken language for
>centuries, parallel to classical Hebrew, which was still used in literary
>compositions.
>However, I can not discuss this subject.

Your observations are always much appreciated. I'm sure whatever you note
about the language will be worth reading. And the subject itself is
extremely important. So, I will look forward to any crumbs about the DSS
dialects of Hebrew that get dropped here!

Distinti saluti,

Ian

  • Re: The Latin analogy (Alviero), Ian Hutchesson, 05/22/1999