b-hebrew - Re: targums

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kelly McGrew <kelly AT mcgrew.net>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: targums
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 10:11:45 -0700

Let me posit a question....if the library of a modern day chasidic shul were
found in
2,000 years, what conclusions would you draw based on the fact that:

-Most works were in Hebrew, although it varies from 'Classical' (Biblical)
through
Mishnaic, Medieval, and Rabbinic, but little modern Hebrew is to be found;
-Many works included Aramaic along side the Hebrew or Yiddish (like the
Mikraot
Gedalot for both Torah and NaKh; the Talmud, and Midrashim);
-Several works were entirely or largley in Yiddish (some editions of the
Mikraot
Gedalot, the Mishnah Berurah, and other classics of Eastern European Jewry);
-and no works were in English.

That about sums up the Skulyner shul in Williamsburg (on Keap Street). No
one speaks
Hebrew or Aramaic as a daily language, although some do have the ability
speak modern
Hebrew (the langauge isn't used much outside of Israel in the chasidic with
which I'm
familiar); most speak Yiddish as their first language. English is commonly
spoken for
business purposes (yet the only evidence might be on the reverse of the title
page:
"Printed by Gross Brothers Inc.").

My point, in case you missed it, is that it is probably difficult to
determine the
exact nature of the language based on a library which includes texts hundreds
(in the
case of Qumran) or thousands (in the case of Williamsburg) of years old. We
can
determine the languages in which they studied, all else is probably pure
speculation.