b-hebrew - N"R:DFH in Gen 43:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: N"R:DFH in Gen 43:4
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 07:09:00 +0800

Just a quick request for your ideas: Gen 43:4 reads:

)IM-YE$:KF M:$AL."XA )ET-)FXIYNW. )IT.FNW. N"R:DFH W:NI$:B.:RFH L:KF
)OKEL

Would you consider N"R:DFH as yiqtol with a paragogic heh, or as
cohortative? If it's cohortative, am I overlooking a similar volitional
type form in verse 5, possibly LO) N"R"D?

I'm sure you can understand my question, since this is a first person
yiqtol with qamets-heh, yet it appears to be the only volitional in the
speech of the brothers. Also, I'm not quite sure that strong
determination to abide by an order by Father Jacob would be an expected
response, unless the brothers were anxiously awaiting permission to
return to Egypt. But this is not otherwise indicated in the text. On
the other hand, if it is simple yiqtol, it is still the main verb in the
clause, and, unless the dependent clause is considered an "X" element,
yiqtols don't generally stand by themselves in predictive narratives.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines