b-hebrew - targums

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Wrench" <dellbert AT buckeyenet.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: targums
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 18:38:24 -0400

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I was wondering if
what is called the 'targums' are generally trustworthy?

What I mean is, I have read where they are Aramaic paraphrases for the
Hebrew scriptures. Are they 'too' parapharsical to get a sense of Jewish
thought at the time or do they generally present an accurate rendition of
the Hebrew thought, just perhaps stated differently?

Dan Ebert