b-hebrew - Movement of constituents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Movement of constituents
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:13:38 -0400

Dave Washburn wrote:

> I'm not sure why you
> say TGG can't tell us the standard Hebrew word order; that's one of
> the things it's precisely designed to do. If we can see that a
> constituent has been moved, then obviously it didn't start out in the
> post-movement position. Perhaps, rather than "standard," I should
> be calling it "pre-movement" word order.

Dear Dave,
How can you tell that a constituent has been moved if you don't know where it
started from?

I searched for Qatal followed by a proper noun, and got about 1800 hits (most
were in relative
clauses). My search of qatal preceded by a proper noun yielded 1200 hits,
most with vav attached to
the noun. This is out of 14,609 qatals. I do not think my Hebrew database
is tagged for
grammatical subject, so this list would not include subjects that are not
proper names.
--
Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee

  • Movement of constituents, Lee R. Martin, 05/12/1999