b-hebrew - LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew Kulikovsky <anku AT CelsiusTech.com.au>
  • To: "'peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG'" <peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG>
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: LXX
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:51:53 +0930

-----Original Message-----
> From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG [mailto:peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG]
>
> I am working on the generally accepted theory that LXX was translated
> in Alexandria in 3rd-2nd century BC. I think it is generally agreed
> that the Alexandrian Jews of this period were losing their Hebrew and
> speaking mostly Greek, and that is why the LXX translation had to be
> made. There are many cases in LXX where it seems that the translator
> misunderstood the Hebrew Vorlage. Does anyone seriously dispute this
> reconstruction?

My understanding of the LXX is that it is a very uneven translation. It is
not the work of a single translator or even a single group, since the
quality of translation varies so much. In some parts it is quite literal and
in other parts it is quite free. This suggests it was done in bits and
pieces over a period of time by different translators, of different skill.

Does anyone know of a good analysis of the history and origin of the LXX?
I'd very much like to look at it.

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew S. Kulikovsky B.App.Sc(Hons) MACS
Software Engineer

"The road to tyranny, we must never forget,
is the destruction of the truth."
-- President Bill Clinton, during a
speech at the University of
Connecticut, 1995.