b-hebrew - Re: )$R-LIY in Ruth 2:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: )$R-LIY in Ruth 2:21
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 10:41:37 -0400

Dear Paul,
Very good question.
When you have two ways to state the same fact, the speaker must make a
decision. In
this case, the word ASHER is inserted, apparently unnecessarily.
Grammatically, this
construction moves the "possession" element away from the noun, making it a
separate
clause. Instead of "servants-of-me" and "harvest-of-me" we have "the
servants (which
are mine)" and "the harvest (which are mine)." My initial impression is
that the
padded wording adds strength to the claim of possession. However, it is just
an
opinion. Have you looked at other passages with this construction?
Lee R. Martin

Paul Zellmer wrote:

> What think ye? Is there any significant difference in the use of the
> relative pronouns + LIY that are found in this verse to what would seem
> to be a more normal possessive pronoun -IY attached to the respective
> nouns? (The significant cases are set off by ** **.)ve
>
> WAT.O)MER RW.T HAM.OW):ABIY.FH G.AM
> K.IY-)FMAR )"LAY **(IM-HAN.:(FRIYM ):A$ER-LIY**
> T.ID:B.FQIYN (AD )IM-K.IL.W. )"T **K.FL-HAQ.FCIYR
> ):A$ER-LIY**
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Zellmer
>
> (Just suddenly realized I didn't have my sig file on this new computer.
> Sorry about not fulling identifying myself on recent posts.)
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: lmartin AT vol.com

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
Instructor in Hebrew and Old Testament
Church of God Theological Seminary
http://earth.vol.com/~lmartin/

  • )$R-LIY in Ruth 2:21, Paul Zellmer, 05/08/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: )$R-LIY in Ruth 2:21, Lee R. Martin, 05/08/1999