b-hebrew - Re[2]: Tidbits from Ruth (Paul)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Tidbits from Ruth (Paul)
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 01:01:30 -0400

Rolf Furuli wrote:

If discourse analysis is going to help us at all in our study of the
Hebrew Bible, we *have to* answer the following questions in our own
mind BEFORE we start with it:

(1) Are YIQTOL, WAYYIQTOL, QATAL, and WEQATAL four different
conjugations with different semantic meanings, or is there just one
prefix-conjugation (YIQTOL and WAYYIQTOL) and one suffix conjugation
(QATAL AND WEQATAL)?

Dear Rolf,

I think you have made it abundantly clear why you can never agree with
most others on this list. Most of us are making it the aim of our
study of the Hebrew Bible (using discourse analysis as one tool among
others) to answer your question (1) amongst others. But you seem to be
requiring us instead to prejudge the answer before we even start our
study. Is this really the proper scientific approach?

As for the poetry issue, perhaps we should take seriously the words of
Comrie. And please can you name the book you are quoting from, if only
out of courtesy to its author.

Peter Kirk