b-hebrew - Re[4]: Tidbits from Ruth (Alviero)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: Tidbits from Ruth (Alviero)
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 00:07:18 -0400

John Ronning wrote to Prof. Niccacci:

<long snip>

I'm sorry I've lost your message that I was thinking of (something to do
with instructions for the tabernacle or maybe offerings for the
dedication of the tabernacle or consecration of Aaron and his sons) - I
thought you had shown that in the instructions both weqatal and x-yiqtol
were used, and in the description of the completion, both were described
with wayyiqtols; thus both weqatal and x-yiqtol were "mainline." I was
suggesting the same is true for historical narrative - both wayyiqtol and
sometimes x + qatal are mainline. I was asking what type of evidence you
would have to see to agree that x + qatal can be "mainline" in historical
narrative.

<snip>

(PK): Did Prof. Niccacci really show this, or has there been some
confusion here? If I remember rightly, there is a clear rule that
weqatal in the instructions for the tabernacle etc is replaced by
wayyiqtol in the narrative of the construction, and x-yiqtol is
replaced by x-qatal; this suggests that weqatal and wayyiqtol are
mainline and x-yiqtol and x-qatal are background, within these
discourses.

Peter Kirk