b-hebrew - Re: Negative Imperative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Douglas L Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: sbfnet AT netvision.net.il
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Negative Imperative
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 12:33:20 -0600

Dear Fr. Niccacci, and Lee Martin,

Your thread regarding the status of weqatal and negative imperative is a
good one, and I'm following with interest. Lee writes:

> Another situation that causes confusion is when a series of weqatals
occur within a double sentence, e.g. Deu. 26:1-4, that says:

Fr. Niccacci, in your response to Lee, you write:

- The volitive set is as follows:

*speech-initial form: yiqtol (x-yiqtol in some cases) = 3rd person /
imperative = 2nd person / cohortative = 1st person

*continuation form:weyiqtol -- eventually, a chain of mainline
weyiqtols

*offline form: x-yiqtol = 3rd and 1st person / x-imperative = 2nd
person (background)

*negative form of mainline: 'al+yiqtol

*negative form of offline: x-'al+yiqtol.

What is your response to the analysis which would pose another text type
for Dt 26:1-4 as, say, a procedural text (Distinct from narrative, which
would be classified as another text type), where weqatal would be the
mainline. "You do this and then you do that and then you'll do another
thing...."

Though I'm probably not representing Longacre as he'd wish, I do believe
that I have the substantial idea in question here: that there are
different genres of text types and the 'mainline' of each will be
different. I believe Longacre posits 4 Hebrew text types: Narrative,
Procedural, Behavioral, and Expository. Procedural mainline might just
have weqatal as a mainline verb form. How about this idea? Can it be
incorporated into your analysis, Fr. Niccacci.

I'm intrigued by the analysis offered above and in the rest of the post I
didn't quote above. I hope you continue to comment on this thread.

Peace,
Doug
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]