b-hebrew - Re[5]: Tidbits from Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[5]: Tidbits from Ruth
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:41:21 -0400

Dear Rolf,

I am not sure why you addressed this one to me as I am not now one of
those your refer to who "hold the view that verbs have different
meanings in prose... and poetry". My suggestion is rather that verb
forms are used in different ways in different discourse types e.g.
narrative, instruction, exhortation, prediction, and that the
prose/poetry distinction is minor.

However, I cannot let your number 3 stand. The claim some seem to have
made is that verbs have different tense and aspect meanings in prose
and poetry; no-one has I think claimed any differences in other
components of meaning. So your "apart from tense and aspect" is an
attempt to decide the question by a priori assertion. Or to put it
another way, your argument is equivalent to answering a statement
"ball A is different from ball B because A is red and B is blue" by
saying "apart from colour, what difference is there? - if none, A and
B must be identical". I agree that there is a danger of circular
argument here, but I think you should give to those who disagree with
you the chance to make present a non-circular argument for tense and
aspect differences.

Peter Kirk