b-hebrew - Re: Deut.6--Alviero Niccacci

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Studium Biblicum Franciscanum <sbfnet AT netvision.net.il>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deut.6--Alviero Niccacci
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 15:58:52 -0400

Studium Biblicum Franciscanum wrote:

> Dear Lee Martin,
>
> here is some comment on your analysis.
>
> 18 infinitive *latet lak* is governed by *ni$ba`*. What follows, **`arîm
> gedolot* etc. until *'a$er lo'-naTa`ta* is an apposition to, not object of,
> *latet lak*. Note that under *lak* there is the Atnah.

Yes, I see that now. I found several other examples in the Torah with
similar patterns.

> 21-25 a past tense is needed. Are these past tenses?

Yes, they are. I'm sorry; I should not have used the KJV which has archaic
language.

> 26-27 are still Protasis: "and then you shall eat and be satisfied." The
> apodosis begins with *hi$$amer* in the next sentence.

I have a problem with your analysis here. I do not believe that imperatives
can be found as apodosis.

> 34 lo'+yiqtol, neg. weqatal, the rest OK
> 39 lo'+yiqtol, neg. weqatal, the rest OK
> 41 inf. +yiqtol = x-yiqtol, the rest OK

> Line 3: thw weqatals convey instruction; they are not injuctions if this
> term has a specific volitive nuance. Weqatal is found after an imperative
> or jussive but does not carry on the volitive force of it. This is affirmed
> on the light of the evidence gathered elsewhere.

I am still having difficulty with your distinction between "instruction" and
"volition" as used in your _Syntax_. In line 3, above, YHVH says, "You
shall love the Lord...." (weqatal). It is very hard for me to conceive of
such a statement as entirely non-volitional. It
appears from my study of various grammars and translations, that the use of
weqatal, yiqtol, and x-yiqtol in direct speech are utterly confused. I see
no consistency in the translations and grammars. You are consistent,
however, but I am not fully convinced that you are
right. Would you comment, for example on lines 39-46? Would you suggest the
following translation:

39 lo'+yiqtol, neg. weqatal, simple future = You will not tempt the LORD your
God,
41 inf.+yiqtol, instruction, simple future = You will diligently keep the
commandments ...
43 weqatal, instruction, simple future = and you will [be able to] do the
right and the good...
44 lam`an+imf., purpose = in order that it may be well with you
45 weqatal , instruction, simple future = and you will [be able to] go in
46 weqatal , instruction, simple future = and you will [be able to] possess
the good land
(Note that in formal English, in the 2nd person, "will" is non-volitive,
while "shall" is volitive, but in the 1st person the opposite is true.
_World Book Dictionary_, s.v. "will")

Just as you propose two kinds of wayyiqtol (narrative and continuative), I
have wondered if weqatal may also be of two types. In some cases, weqatal
may continue the tense and aspect of the preceding verb. Have you considered
such an idea?

Another situation that causes confusion is when a series of weqatals occur
within a double sentence, e.g. Deu. 26:1-4, that says:

1-when thou art come in unto the land (x-yiqtol)
2-which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance,
3-and possessest it, (weqatal)
4-and dwellest therein; (weqatal)
5-That thou shalt take (weqatal) of the first of all the fruit of the earth,
6-which thou shalt bring (weqatal) of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth
thee,
7-and shalt put (weqatal) it in a basket,
8-and shalt go (weqatal) unto the place
9-which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there.
10-And thou shalt go (weqatal)unto the priest that shall be in those days,
11-and say (weqatal)unto him, ...
12-And the priest shall take (weqatal) the basket out of thine hand,
13-and set it down (weqatal)before the altar of the LORD thy God.

Line 1 is the protasis, but how do we know where the apodosis begins? Does
the apodosis begin with line 3, or line 5 (RSV), or line 10, or line 12?
There are numerous examples of this problem. (Num 15:2-3; Deu 7:1-2;
12:29-30; 17:14-15; 19:1-2, etc).

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
Instructor in Hebrew and Old Testament
Church of God Theological Seminary
http://earth.vol.com/~lmartin/