b-hebrew - Re: Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: mjoseph AT terminal.cz
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:50:32 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/99 11:27:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mjoseph AT terminal.cz writes:

<< a legitimate question
given the JW's predilection for insisting on one particular pronunciation
of the Divine name. Analysis of source material is always germane to
scholarly discussion. As to the material point, anyone who denies that
JWs insist that (in English) Je-ho-vah is the only correct pronunciation
of the Tetragrammaton has never spoken with a JW.

Mark Joseph (my real name ;-) >>

Dear Mark:

Forgive me, but it appears that you have not read anything concerning this
issue as published in official JW literature. I have sent a reply to Greg
Yeager showing that his/your contention regarding the Witnesses' view of the
pronunciation of the divine name, is in error.

I suggest that those who persist in sending such error-filled posts to
B-Hebrew, which are NOT relevant to the topic in question (as our question
relates to the HEBREW pronunciation, not the JW pronunciation), either cite
official Witness literature that supports their claim, or apologize to the
List for not checking the facts prior to posting such information.

May we return to a discussion of the Hebrew, please?

Greg Stafford

  • Re: Tetragrammaton, GregStffrd, 04/30/1999