b-hebrew - Psalm 2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "L.M. Barre" <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • To: "ANE" <ane AT oi.uchicago.edu>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Psalm 2
  • Date: 30 Apr 99 03:15:41 -0800

Dear List,

Let me add this evidence to my thesis that Psalm 2 stems for the monarchy of
either Solomon or Rehoboam. I submit that its attitude of drunken and cruel
despotism matches that attributed to Rehoboam in the following text, in which
we have his less than sympathetic response to Jeroboam's request on behalf of
the North for relief:

My little finger is thicker than my father's d_ck! Whereas my father loaded
you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke; my father disciplined you
with whips, but I will discipline you with scorpions! (1 Kings 12:10b-11)

How can such a political stance be found amidst the Maccabean period? I n my
mind that notion is patently absurd.

L. M. Barre, Ph.D.

barre AT c-zone.net
www.angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael