b-hebrew - Re: on wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: on wayyiqtol
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:21:14 -0400

> >If we can show that the Hebrew conjugations do not represent tense, the
> >alternative seems to be that they represent aspect.

only by redefining aspect to be something other than pure semantic aspect.

logically, the quoted statement is equivalent to saying
"if we can show that the conjugations do not represent aspect,
the alternative seems to be that they represent tense."
i wouldn't do that, either. both are like saying because it isn't round it
must be square.

all of this is playing with definitions within a too-restricted linguistic
framework. let it go full circle.

randall buth