b-hebrew - Re Translations and bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: mjoseph <mjoseph AT terminal.cz>
  • To: "b-Hebrew Digest" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re Translations and bias
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 99 20:10:12 +0100

Wes Williams wrote:

>Likely for the same reasons that Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, Jews,
>Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Mystical Mennonites explain their scriptural
>reasons when asked about scriptures in the versions and translations they
>use.

I haven't seen any avowedly Catholic, Baptist, Jewish, Presbyterian, or
Lutheran theology on this list, nor any defense of same. I have seen, on
this list and on b-Greek, many attempts to present Arian theology in the
guise of linguistics.

>We surely should reflect tolerance to another list member's theology
>while all focus on the merits of a language issue itself.

Absolutely right. That is what I tried to do in my post, and what others
have tried to do in theirs.

Mark Joseph

  • Re Translations and bias, mjoseph, 04/10/1999