b-hebrew - Re: Bible translation, b-h dig.: March 20, 1999

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: B Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bible translation, b-h dig.: March 20, 1999
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:19:05 -0500

At 12:55 AM 3/22/99 +0200, Rolf Furuli wrote:

>On the basis of the results of psykholinguistics, it can be shown that
>meaning is connected with concepts in the minds of living people and not
>with words uttered or written. Each written word is a semantic signal of a
>particular concept in the minds of people speaking the same language and
>having the same presupposition pool. Such concepts have a core meaning but
>they become more fuzzy as their edges are approached.

I don't buy it! ...unless you admit that *fly* meaning insect is a different
word than *fly* meaning zipper is a different word than *fly* meaning
tarpoline, etc. I.e., all these *fly*s just happen to be homonyms, maybe
with a shared derivation and maybe not. And if they are indeed several
words which happen to be homonymous, what help is your idea that a word has
a single core meaning? What's the difference between your idea and the idea
that one word has several meanings?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine