b-hebrew - Re: debuking syncretism in the ot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gregory and Carol Yeager <cgyeager AT mwci.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: debuking syncretism in the ot
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 19:28:04 -0600

Lloyd Barre wrote:

> The exposing and debunking of the syncretistic propaganda of Israelite
tradition forces the realization that everyone, including Old Testament
scholars, have been duped by these ancient yet sophisticated and
extremely
effective techniques. Their obscuring of historical realities has more
than anything contributed to the current impasse in Old Testament
research
that has spawn a new and restless "Search for Ancient Israel" in a
Persian
or Hellenistic milieu. Although critical research has shown that El
and
Yahweh were different gods, it is common for interpreters to adopt
uncritically the teachings of Israelite tradition that the two are one
and
identical with the Priestly Writer's distinctively Levitical concept of
Elohim. Exodus 6:3 has reigned triumphant over the minds an hearts of
the
faithful for two and one half millennia.

I am deeply puzzled by this. Do you mean to say that Gerhard von Rad
and Otto Eissfeldt, among others, did not recognize this synthesis?

By my reading it (this understanding) was fundamental to their
hermeneutical approach. As far as I know, this was the understanding of
Americans as well, such as William Foxwell Albright, and John Bright. I
cannot imagine any contributor to the Biblischer Kommentar HWWolf,
HJKraus, CWestermann, etc, who did not also work with this
understanding.

I am afraid I might sleep through your revolution.

Peace,
Greg Yeager
Dubuque Iowa

  • debuking syncretism in the ot, Lloyd Barre, 03/18/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: debuking syncretism in the ot, Gregory and Carol Yeager, 03/20/1999