b-hebrew - Re: Bible codes?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Arens <arens AT ISI.EDU>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bible codes?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:59:50 -0800

At 10:05 AM -0800 3/13/99, Andre Desnitsky wrote:

> When I have heard a couple of years ago about the the so called
> "Bible codes", quite naturally I considered them to be another trick
> of some clever guys with a computer. Quite recently I received an
> apology of the method from its supporter claiming that the results
> were proven statistically.

In addition to the objections already raised here, several
mathematicians have also challenged the statistical methods underlying
the work. One of the most active, Brendan McKay of Australian National
University, even has a Web site devoted to the topic. Take a look at
http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/index.html.

Yigal

Yigal Arens
USC/ISI