b-hebrew - Re: Wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Wayyiqtol
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 18:41:38 +0200

As a footnote to our recent discussion on this list of wayyiqtol and
sequence, it
looks to me like somewhere along the line Galia's statistics got misquoted to
the
effect that 97% of wayyiqtols are sequential:

Galia Hatav wrote:

> . . .
>
> There are at least two cases where wayyiqtol
> clauses do not build a new R-time. One: in formulas such as "waydabber
> wayyomer" and hendiadies such as
> "wayyimshexu wayya'alu". The other case is with paraphrases: The narrator
> starts a story, stops and starts it again to provide some detail he did not
> mention the first time. There are also counterexamples which I cannot
> lexplain. (My statistical counting shows 3% of such cases.)

I.e., a great many of the 97% of "explained" wayyiqtols are not sequential,
if I
understand the above correctly?

John Ronning