b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: February 22, 1999

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: February 22, 1999
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 00:30:34 +0100

At 08.21 24/02/99 +1300, Bill Rea wrote:
>Ian wrote:-
>
>>Why did you engage in this conversation in the first place?
>
>Because I thought that if you really wanted to do history, which is
>your repeated claim, then you are looking in the wrong place for
>material to work with. I think you actually know this already.

Seeing as you came in having missed the beginning, it's not strange that
you missed out on the point. I showed that there is enough material in the
OT/HB to imply that it could easily have come from times other than those
purported. It was those times that interested me.

I was interested in finding the contexts that produced the texts. This is
why I looked at the period in which the Hebrews were in Egypt after the
fall of Jerusalem as a context for the evolution of the exodus, at the time
of the reconstruction of the walls under Simon the Just for the writing of
Nehemiah, at the time of the Hasmonean dynasty for Melchizedek and the God
Most High. The conquest because of the great problems it holds may work
better in another historical context.

>I think this thread on history is off topic anyway, i.e I haven't
>seen much Hebrew in it, so I'm bowing out.

Bye, Bill,

Ian