b-hebrew - Re: X-Qatal - wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: X-Qatal - wayyiqtol
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:23:17 -0500

Hi Lee,

you wrote:
> My understanding of x-qatal causes me to lean toward one march, not two.
> Or, to put it another way, v.9 is a campaign, and v. 10 is one march in
the
> campaign. I would translate vv. 9-10 paraphrastically "Aftward, when the
> Judahites went south to make war on the Canaanites living in the
highlands,
> the Negev, and the Shephelah, they marched against the Canaanites in
> Hebron...."

I think your interpretation and translation are correct. The fronting of
the temporal adverb 'axar is used to aid in the transition to a new time.
The qatal verb form is attributive, so I would translate "It was afterwards
that the children of Judah were-descenders-to-fight ..." It is a statement
(i.e., information) about the time and characters in the following section
rather than a representation of an event. The first event in this section
of text presented as an event is the move on Hebron in v. 10.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor