b-hebrew - Re: aleph-mem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: aleph-mem
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:33:17 -0500 (EST)

Well, Brown-Driver-Briggs gives a different set of links: it derives
em (mother), amma (cubit) and umma (tribe, people) from the root 'mm
meaning perhaps "be wide, roomy", but ama (maid - with a single mem)
from a conjectured root 'mh (actually 'my). Maybe Ugaritic etc has
shed more light on such things since BDB's time, but
Harris-Archer-Waltke seem to agree with BDB, though they don't specify
any root for ama.

On the other hand, VanGemeren, the very latest book, suggests very
plausibly that em for mother is an onomatopeic word. It is well known
that in nearly all the world's languages the word for "mother"
includes an m or n sound, because it is one of the first sounds a baby
makes. That does not rule out ama, amma and umma being derived from
it.

Peter Kirk